Information Center Notice:
All posts are written by the Administrator, unless otherwise indicated.

Package Tour here!

Visit my FACEBOOK account. Click here.

Friday, September 19, 2008

25th Sunday, OT-A: Mt.20,1-16, "God's Generosity"

I hire you as my workers today, and we agree that at the end of this day’s work at 5 p.m., I will give each of you P300 for your services. That would be just and fair, I suppose. Now, at 3 p.m., I hire 10 more workers to join you in the work. At 5 p.m., all of you line up to me to claim your remuneration. I start with those who started working at 3 p.m., who labored for only a couple of hours, and I give each of the 10 P300. Wouldn’t you expect that since you began working at 8 a.m., and sweated six hours longer that the 10, I would be giving you a higher pay? Would I be unjust and unfair if I gave you the same wage as what those who worked for only two hours received? But take note, P300 was what we agreed on.

The story can be an acid test of our personal values as Christians. If I ask you whether giving those who worked for two hours P300, which is the same sum I give you who worked for eight hours, is fair and just, I think you would grumble and complain that I am being unjust and unfair. You exerted much more effort than the 10, and yet they receive a day’s wage! If that is how you would react, then you need to develop a “second nature” so that you can respond to my generosity as your employer.

In the parable, the owner of the vineyard reflects God; the generosity of the owner of the vineyard reflects the generosity of God. The parable shows us that God is more interested in the worker than in the work done, in the person who produces than in the product. God does not count what we do; rather, he weighs what we do. “It is mercy I desire not sacrifice.”

Remember Dimas, the good thief who was crucified along with Jesus? He was a last hour worker, but he received a handsome wage from Jesus. He was a wicked man but at the twilight of his life, he “worked hard.” He completely changed his attitude and reoriented his life towards God. Thus, he gained heaven.

God’s ways are not man’s ways. God’s justice and rights are not according to man’s calculations. The earlier workers did not understand the decision of the vineyard owner concerning their wage. They had received the usual, just wage but disgraced themselves by their envy. Their complaints were an expression of their dearth of love. That divisive envy cost them the friendship and respect of their employer.

Are we to exchange the “friendship and respect” of God for our enviousness? The true Christian does not begrudge. Let us therefore rejoice in the good fortune of our neighbors and in seeing goodness and generosity manifested in others.

2 comments:

Fr. Willie Jones Ducusin said...

Thanks for posting your Sunday reflection in advance, Apo Tom. Great help.

tommyville said...

Your welcome, Kabsat.

American-Canadian-Pacific Vacation 2008 (September-October), Part 1

American-Canadian-Pacific Vacation 2008 (September-October), Part 2

American-Canadian-Pacific Vacation 2008 (September-October), Part 3

American Vacation 2007 (September-October)

American Vacation 2007 (September-October), part 2

American Vacation 2006 (California-Nevada-Hawaii, April-May))

American Vacation 2005 (California-Hawaii, April)